Dr. Phan is an Assistant Professor at NUS in the Department of Information Systems and Analytics. His research brings together social sciences, computer science, and statistics to investigate social networks, social media, Big Data, product diffusion, word-of-mouth, and web and mobile commerce. He looks at a number of topics related to online and offline social networks, effects of natural disasters on human social networks, reactions to privacy changes, how some individuals become influential, the ROI of social media, innovative uses of FinTech, factors which impact success of crowdfunding projects, effective mobile advertising, and pricing models for news and streaming media.
He has published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Journal of Marketing Research, Social Computing and Social Media, Database and Expert Systems Applications, and book chapters. He has also presented his works at leading conferences such as the International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Marketing Science, Statistical Challenges in Electronic Commerce (SCECR), Workshop on Information Systems and Economics (WISE), Workshop on Information Technology and Systems (WITS), European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS), Pacific-Asia Conference on Information Systems (PACIS), Workshops on Information Networks (WIN), China-Europe International Business School Marketing Workshop, Fudan University Research Symposium, Cheung Kong Graduate School of Business Marketing Research Forum, Complexity in Business Conference, Society for Economic Dynamics, Public Economic Theory Annual Conference, and INFORMS Annual Meeting. Dr. Phan is an active reviewer for leading journals including Management Science, Information Systems Review (ISR), MIS Quarterly (MISQ), Journal of the Association of Information System (JAIS), ACM Transactions, Annals of Applied Statistics, Internet Research ,and Information Technology Management.
Before going for his graduate studies, Dr. Phan has also started a company providing 3-D computer graphics for mobile devices. He continues to be consult for a number of firms dealing with Big Data in marketing and advertising, retail and e-commerce, telecom, social media, IT, publishing, logistics, healthcare and consumer finance. He has worked closely with companies such as Facebook, Viki, Singapore Press Holdings, Changi Airport Group, Lenddo, ReadyFor, Lenovo, CashSlide, HP Enterprise, and Wing Tai Group.
He has also been in the top 100 competitive ballroom dancer in the world, and top 10 dancer in North America. Dr. Phan likes to build robots and tinker with technology in his spare time.
He holds a Doctor of Business Administration from Harvard Business School in Marketing, and a Bachelor of Science from MIT in Computer Science & Electrical Engineering with concentrations in business and economics.
- Social Networks and Media
- Big Data and econometrics
- Consumer behavior
(Updated July 2016)
- ROI of social media on offline sales
- Estimating the impact of privacy changes on content production and friendship network changes
- Credit scoring using social media and mobile data
- Image sentiment analysis for mobile advertising
- Factors that drive social media addiction and depression
- Effects of social media and news readership and subscription
- Factors that lead to video streaming subscription
- Optimal firm pricing strategy to leverage word-of-mouth
- Impact of school cut-off dates and the relative-age effect on entrepreneurship on TaoBao
(Updated July 2016)
- “Openness versus Secrecy on Facebook: The Relationship Between Privacy Controls, Content Sharing Activities, and Disclosure Patterns,” with Huseyin Cavusoglu, Hasan Cavusoglu, and Edoardo M. Airoldi. Information Systems Review (conditionally accepted, July 2016)
- “A Multi-Relational Approach for Seeding Decisions in Social Networks,” with Chen Xi and Ralf van der Lans, Journal of Marketing Research, 2016 forthcoming
- Phan, Tuan Q., and Edoardo M. Airoldi. “A Natural Experiment of Social Network Formation and Dynamics.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 112, no. 21 (May 26, 2015): 6595–6600. doi:10.1073/pnas.1404770112.
- Pervin, Nargis, Tuan Quang Phan, Anindya Datta, Hideaki Takeda, and Fujio Toriumi. “Hashtag Popularity on Twitter: Analyzing Co- Occurrence of Multiple Hashtags.” In Social Computing and Social Media, 169–82. Springer, 2015. http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-20367-6_18.
- Lu, Xuesong, Tuan Quang Phan, and Stéphane Bressan. “Incremental Algorithms for Sampling Dynamic Graphs.” In Database and Expert Systems Applications, 327–41. Springer, 2013. http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-40285-2_29.
(Updated July 2016)
- BT3102, Computational Methods in Business Analytics
- IS5126, Hands-on with Business Analytics