HENG Cheng Suang
PhD (Stanford University)
Dr. Heng Cheng Suang is an Assistant Professor at the Information Systems Department, School of Computing of the National University of Singapore (NUS). He received his Ph.D. (Organization, Technology and Entrepreneurship) from Stanford University, Management Science & Engineering Department. Prior to his post graduate studies, he worked with the former Singapore Trade Development Board (now known as International Enterprise) as a Senior Trade Officer (Information, Technology & Communications). He also had his internship in Chartered Industries of Singapore and Apple Computer (Singapore).
Dr Heng’s primary research focuses on organization strategies and top management decision making. In particular, he emphasizes on decisions that are interesting, challenging or counter intuitive. Some of his works revolve around studying cases on IT entrepreneurs and their start-ups, as well as IT outsourcing and offshoring decisions. In recent years, he has also begun examining the use of social media in these organizations. He has served as a reviewer for top journals and conferences such as MIS Quarterly, Information Systems Research, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, and others.
Dr Heng has been awarded teaching excellence for three consecutive years. Hence, he has been placed on the Honours Roll.
2011/2012 Teaching Excellence Award (Honours Roll)
2010/2011 Teaching Excellence Award
2009/2010 Teaching Excellence Award
- Organization Strategies & Decision Making
- Organizations & Social Media
- IT Entrepreneurship
- IT Outsourcing & Offshoring
- 2013 Information Systems Research (ISR) “Social Media Brand Community and Consumer Behavior: Quantifying the Relative Impact of User- and Marketer-Generated Content.” Co-authors: Goh, K. Y. and Lin, Z.
- 2013 Information Systems Research (ISR) “Privacy Concerns and Privacy-Protective Behavior in Synchronous Online Social Interactions.” Co-authors: Jiang, Z. and Choi, C. F.
- 2012 International Conference on Electronic Commerce (ICEC) “Contract Renegotiation and Bargaining Power: Evidence from IT-related Outsourcing Contracts". Co-author: Chen, Y. * Best Theme Paper Award *
- 2012 International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) “"Effects of Government Research and Development Grants on IT Entrepreneurial Firm Performance: A New Perspective of Exploration versus Exploitation.” Co-authors: Chen, J. and Tan, B. C. Y.
- 2010 International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) “Helping or Hampering: Effects of IT Outsourcing on Client’s Product Innovation.” Co-author: Feng, Y. Y.
- 2009 International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) “Investigating Vendors’ Decision to Terminate IT Outsourcing Contracts.” Co-authors: Du, W. Y. and Feng, Y. Y.
- 2009 International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) “Multi-Vendor Outsourcing: Relational Structures and Organizational Learning From a Social Relation Perspective.” Co-authors: Lee, J. N. and Sung
- 2003 Journal of the AIS (JAIS) “Willingness to Continue with Software Projects: Effects of Feedback Direction and Optimism under High and Low Accountability Conditions.” 4(4): 171-194. Co-authors: Tan, B. C. Y. and Wei, K. K.
- 2003 Information & Management (I&M) “De-escalation of Commitment in Software Projects: Who Matters? What Matters?” 41(1): pp. 99-110. Co-authors: Tan, B. C. Y. and Wei, K. K.
- IS3150: Digital and New Media Marketing
- IS4226: IT Outsourcing and Offshoring Management
- IS6005: Seminars in Information Systems
- CS5259: Information Technology Outsourcing
- CS3266: E-Commerce Technologies