MSc, PhD (Carnegie Mellon University)
Dr. Sharon Tan is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Information Systems at the National University of Singapore (NUS), and Academic Co-director of the Centre for Health Informatics (CHI) at NUS. She holds a Ph.D. from Tepper School of Business, Carnegie Mellon University, and a MSc. and BSc. (Honors) in Information Systems from the National University of Singapore.
Her research focuses mainly on the intersection of IT and healthcare with a special focus on HIT adoption and use, Health 2.0 and Mobile Health, and Health Analytics. Her work has been presented at premier conferences such as International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) and Association of Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) and published in MIS Quarterly and Information Systems Research. She is a recipient of the University's Annual Teaching Excellence Award and the Faculty Teaching Excellence award and several research awards including the Emerald Citations of Excellence Award and the AIS SIG-Health Annual Best Paper Award Meritorious Mention.
Sharon has served as guest co-editor for a special section in Information Systems Frontiers and a focus theme issue for Methods of Information in Medicine on “Big Data & Analytics in Healthcare" and currently serves on the editorial board of the Journal of AIS and the Journal of Database Management. She has served as Program Co-chair for the International Conference on Big Data and Analytics in Healthcare (BDAH) 2014, Organizing Committee member for BDAH 2013, and as Track Co-chair for “Healthcare IS track” at ICIS 2015, “IT/IS in Healthcare” track at PACIS 2012 & 2015, and “Health Informatics” at International Conference on Electronic Commerce 2014. Currently she is also a member of the Singapore IDA's National Infocomm Competency Framework (NICF) Expert Panel.
Awards & Honors
- AIS SIG-Health Annual Best Paper Award (Meritorious Mention) in the Senior category, 2016
- NUS Annual Teaching Excellence Award, AY2014-15
- Faculty Teaching Excellence award, AY2014-15
- Nominee for Faculty Teaching Excellence award, AY2012-13 & AY2011-12
- Best paper award at Pre-ICIS 2009 Human Computer Interaction conference (Acceptance rate of about 30%)
- Emerald Citations of Excellence Award 2009 (Emerald Management Reviews is an abstracting and indexing database that covers every article in the top 400 business and management journals world-wide including titles such as: Harvard Business Review; Journal of Finance; Journal of Marketing; Strategic Management Journal; MIT Sloan Management Review; Long Range Planning; Academy of Management Journal; and MIS Quarterly. Every article that appears in these titles is sent to independent subject experts for evaluation. Our article was selected as one of the top 50 from the 15,000 articles that was reviewed throughout 2008.)
- AOM (OCIS Division) Doctoral Consortium (2003)
- Runners-up for Best paper Award at ICIS 2002 (Full paper acceptance rate of about 15%)
- William Larimer Fellowship (1999-2002)
- NUS Overseas Graduate Scholarship (2001-2004)
- NUS Research Scholarship (1997-1998)
- National Science and Technology Board Scholarship (1997-1998)
- Healthcare IT/ Health Analytics/Mobile Health and Health 2.0
- Knowledge Management
- Implementing and Assessing the Impact of Mobile and IoT technologies for Active Ageing.
- Creating and Assessing a Smart Care Environment in Elderly Nursing Home.
- Enhancing Coordination for Mobile Healthcare Teams.
- Generating and Evaluating value of HIT and HIT-enabled Programs.
Ntsweng, O. and Tan, S.S.L. “The Effects of Serious Games’ Genres and Frequency of Exposure on Children’s Dietary Preferences”, Proceedings of the Thirty-sixth Annual International Conference on Information Systems (Dublin, Ireland), 2016 (forthcoming).
Zhou,F., Tong, Y., Teo, H.H. and Tan, S.S.L. “Overcoming the System Fit Challenge at the Initial Post-Adoption Stage: The Roles of Emotions in Users' Adaptation Behaviors”, Proceedings of the Thirty-sixth Annual International Conference on Information Systems (Dublin, Ireland), 2016 (forthcoming).
Kohli, R. and Tan, S.S.L. “Electronic Health Records: How Can IS Researchers Contribute to Transforming Healthcare” MIS Quarterly, 40(3), 2016, pp.553-573 (forthcoming in Sept) (Authorship in alphabetical order).
Kankanhalli, A., Han, J., Tan, S.S.L. and Gao, G. “Special Section on Big Data and Analytics in HealthCare,” Information Systems Frontiers, 18(2), 2016, pp.233-235.
Tan, S.S.L., Gao, G. and Koch, S. “Big Data and Analytics in Healthcare”, Methods of Information in Medicine, 54(6), 2015, pp.546-547.
Tong, Y., Tan, S.S.L and Teo, H.H. “The Road to Early Success: Impact of System Use in the Swift Response Phase”, Information Systems Research, 26(2), 2015, pp. 418-436. (AIS SigHealth 2016 Annual Best Paper Award Meritorious Mention)
Goonawardene, N. and Tan, S.S.L. “Health 2.0 Enabled Collaborative Healthcare Maintenance,” in Proceedings of the Thirty-fifth Annual International Conference on Information Systems (Fort Worth, USA), Dec 2015.
Liu, R., Jiang, J., Goonawardene, N., and Tan, S.S.L. “A Case Study on the Effectiveness of an In-house Physician Rating Tool in Outpatient Clinics”, in Proceedings of the Annual Symposium of American Medical Informatics Association (San Francisco CA, USA), Nov 2015.
Goonawardene, N. and Tan, S.S.L. “Practitioner-driven Virtual Communities: An Attachment Theory Perspective to Patients’ Adherence to Online Health Advice”, in Proceedings of the Thirty-fourth Annual International Conference on Information Systems (Auckland, New Zealand), Dec 2014.
Goonawardene, N. and Tan, S.S.L. “A Qualitative Analysis of Patients’ Behaviour in an Online Health Community: Dynamics of Self-regulated Health Goal Achievement”, in Proceedings of the Annual Symposium of American Medical Informatics Association (Washington DC, USA), Nov 2014.
Jiang, J., Goonawardene, N., and Tan, S.S.L. “Do You Find Health Advice on Microblogging Platforms Credible? Role of Self-Efficacy and Health Threat in Credibility Assessment,” Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems (PACIS) 2014 Proceedings, Chengdu, China, June 2014.
Jiang, J., Tan, S.S.L., Goh, K.Y., and Wu, D. “Effectiveness of a Heath Card Program on Appointment Compliance,” International Conference on Big Data and Analytics in Healthcare (BDAH) Proceedings, Singapore, June 2014.
Jiang, J., and Tan, S.S.L. “Employees' Evaluation of Mandatory IS Change and Affective Commitment to Change,” Proceedings of Academy of Management Annual Meeting. Philadelphia, USA, Aug 2014.
Goonawardene, N. and Tan, S.S.L. “Patients’ Adherence to Health Advice on Virtual Communities: Identity and Bond Theory Perspective”, Proceedings of the Thirty-third Annual International Conference on Information Systems (Milan, Italy), Dec 2013.
Goonawardene, N., Jiang, J., Tan, S.S.L. and Jiang Z. “Online Health Information Seeking and Adolescents’ Intention towards Health Self-management”, Proceedings of the 17th Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems (Jeju-island, Korea), June 2013.
Jiang, J., Tong, Y. and Tan, S.S.L. "Do You Retweet Heath Advice on Microblogging Platforms? The Effects of Health Topic and Website Design on Credibility Assessment", Proceedings of the Thirty-third Annual International Conference on Information Systems (Orlando, FL), 2012.
Tong, Y., Goonawardene, N., Tan, S.S.L., Teo, H.H., and Low, C.H. "The Influence of Job Rotation on Physicians' System Use: A Situated Learning Perspective", Proceedings of the Thirty-second Annual International Conference on Information Systems (Shanghai, China), 2011.
Xu, L., Tan, S.S.L., Chan, H.C., Teo, H.H. and Goh, L.G. "Empowering Physicians with Electronic Health Records: System Capabilities to Adoption Intention", Proceedings of the Academy of Management 2010 Conference, OCIS division.
Tan, S.S.L. and Zou, X. "An Empirical Study of the Mediating Mechanisms of Knowledge Contribution", Proceedings of the 8th Annual Pre-ICIS Workshop on HCI Research in MIS, Phoenix, Arizona, 2009. (Best Paper Award).
Olivera, F., Goodman, P.S. and Tan, S.S.L. "Contribution Behaviors in Distributed Environments," MIS Quarterly, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 23-42, March 2008. (Emerald Management Review Citation of Excellence Award).
Tan, S.S. L and Fichman, M. "Adoption of Web-based Transactional Banking: Efficiency-choice and Neo-institutional Perspectives", Proceedings of the Twenty-Third Annual International Conference on Information Systems, 2002, pp.137-146. (Runners-up for Best Conference Paper Award).
- IS6003: Contemporary Theories in IS Research
- IS2104: Software Team Dynamics
- IS6005: Seminars in Information Systems I
- CS5253/IS5112: Knowledge Systems and Management
CS4264: E-Commerce: B2C Applications