The workshop is designed for incoming students from Department of Information Systems and Analytics and who have Never written a program before.
This workshop is designed to answer questions like “What is programming? Is programming hard?” It is therefore targeted at students who have never programmed before and have absolutely no idea what programming is.
The workshop will introduce you to the basic tenets of algorithmic thinking that provides a systematic way of solving problems. Thereafter, you will progress to learn basic constructs of C, Java and Python so that you can design and write simple programs. CS and CEG students will learn C. IS and BZA students will learn Java and Python respectively..
The workshop adopts small group lectures and practical lab sessions as the primary teaching modes. You will have plenty of hands-on opportunities to write simple programming codes.
1. The workshop is designed for incoming students from Department of Information Systems and Analytics and who have Never written a program before.
2. The Department of Computer Science will be changing the choice of the first programming language to be taught to students majoring in Computer Science (CS), Computer Engineering (CEG) and Information Security (InfoSec), with effect from August 2018. In conjunction with this change, a new enhanced pedagogy will be adopted to teach programming methodology to this group of students. As such, the workshop will no longer be relevant for students from CS/CEG/InfoSec.
Registration is open from 23rd Feb till 8th Jun 2018. Please click here to register.
The workshop will be held over three days:
- Day 1 - Tuesday, 3rd July
- Day 2 - Wednesday, 4th July
- Day 3 - Friday, 6th July
Each day is split into two sessions with a lunch break in between:
- Morning Session - 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Lunch Break - 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM
- Afternoon Session - 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM
Details of each day's activities will be posted later.
What Do I Need to Bring?
Nothing. All notes, hardware and software will be provided. However, we prefer that you bring your own laptop.
For any further enquiry, please send an email to email@example.com