The objectives of the Minor in Business Analytics are:
- To provide a business analytics minor programme within NUS for non-computing students;
- To produce graduates who are able to understand business analytics principles and practices and apply it in a multi-disciplinary context.
Student Learning Outcomes
The Minor in Business Analytics enables students to attain, by the time of graduation:
- Strong foundational knowledge of business analytics principles, including (a) familiarity with common business analytics methodologies and principles, (b) high-level understanding of data-driven analytics as a whole, (c) understanding of the theoretical underpinnings of business analytics and their influences in practice.
- An ability to function effectively in teams to accomplish a common goal.
- Recognition of the need for and an ability to engage in continuing professional development.
The Minor in Business Analytics programme offers direct admission. Students applying for the Minor in Business Analytics must meet the entry requirement:
For diploma holders: Diploma with at least an A2 in GCE 'O' level Elementary Mathematics or at least a B4 grade in GCE 'O' level Additional Mathematics.
For A-Level Holders: At least a H2 pass in Mathematics.
Students from cohort 2016/17 or later who have taken CS1010S (or its equivalent) and BT1101 (or its equivalent) as part of their degree requirements can apply for entry into Minor in Business Analytics starting Semester 1, AY2017-18.
The Minor in Business Analytics programme is not available to students in the following degree programmes offered (or jointly) by the School of Computing:
B.Comp. (Information Security)
- B.Comp. (Computer Science)
- B.Comp. (Computational Biology)
- B.Comp. (Information Systems)
- B.Sc. (Business Analytics)
- B.Sc. (Data Science and Analytics)
In addition, BBA and BBA (Accountancy) students who are matriculated from AY2017/18 onwards and specialised in Business Analytics are not allowed to graduate with a Minor in Business Analytics.
Continuation and graduation requirements
The Minor in Business Analytics will be awarded to students who satisfied the 24 MCs minor requirement.
For students following the enhanced grade-free scheme for S/U option: The S/U option is available for modules that are part of a student's Minor requirements if they fall under the criteria stated for their cohort, and as long as the student has at least a minimum 16 MCs of the Minor requirement earned from modules read in NUS (i.e., graded modules with assigned grade points or modules with an ‘S’ or ‘CS’ grade) out of the 24 MCs to fulfill the Minor requirements towards graduation.
Students will need to complete the primary major requirements to graduate.
The Minor in Business Analytics to be structured as follows:
Core modules = 16 MCs
Elective modules = 8 MCs
The table below shows the programme structure in details.
|BT1101 Introduction to Business Analytics1||4|
|BT2101 Decision Making Methods and Tools||4|
|BT2102 Data Management and Visualisation||4|
|CS1010S Programming Methodology2||4|
Complete 8MCs of modules in the list below:
BT4211 Data-Driven Marketing
BT4212 Search Engine Optimization and Analytics
BT4221 Big Data Techniques and Technologies
IS4241 Social Media Network Analysis
1 BT1101 can be replaced by DSC1007.
2 CS1010S can be replaced by CS1010/E/S/X/FC/J. But students need to apply for the module substitution as advanced modules may need the taught programming language in CS1010S and it is imperative that students who take CS1010S equivalent are aware of it.
Some of these modules require prerequisites from outside this list. Students must have the prerequisites to take them.
A minimum 16 MCs of the Minor requirements must be earned from modules read in NUS. The other 8 MCs may be earned through credit transfers, advanced placement and exemptions, provided these MCs are earned from modules deemed relevant to the particular Minor programme.