This is the classic black-sauce chicken found in many Malay/Indonesian restaurants and stalls.
1 chicken, cut into pieces
4 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 stalks lemon grass
2 tsp coriander powder (ketumbar)
1 tsp tumeric powder (kunyit)
1/2 cup water.
2 large cloves garlic
4 red fresh red chilli
4 pcs dried chilli
1/2 inch knob of ginger
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1. Marinade chicken. Set aside for at least 1/2 hour.
2. Combine rempah ingredients and grind finely
3. In a pan over high heat, quickly seal chicken pieces.
4. Remove chicken. Turn down the heat, thinly slice onion and add to pan.
5. When onions are cooked, add in rempah. Tumis (saute) the rempah until fragrant. This takes about 5 minutes.
6. Add in coriander, tumeric. Bruise lemon grass stalks and add in. Fry for a further 2 minutes.
7. Add in black soy sauce and chicken. Stir so that chicken is covered in spices. Fry for about another 2 minutes.
8. Add water, simmer chicken for 30 to 45 minutes. Meanwhile preheat grill to 200 degrees.
9. Remove chicken from gravy. Arrange on an oven pan with skin side up.
10. Put chicken into grill. Grill until chicken skin sizzles and browns. This will take about 5 minutes.
11. While grilling chicken, adjust gravy seasoning (salt, sugar) to taste.
12. Remove chicken and pour gravy over chicken.