Computer Science, National University of Singapore
NUSRI Summer Course: Jul 14 - Aug 1, 2017
RI3009 Cloud Computing
This introductory course aims to expose students to both the theory and practice of cloud computing. The learning objectives include understanding of key cloud computing concepts, models, technologies and applications. The course consists of a mix of theory and learn-by-examples hands-on laboratories. Students will learn to write simple parallel programs including MapReduce and develop and run applications on both the Amazon and IBM cloud computing platforms.
1. principles of cloud computing – what and why, key business drivers, basic concepts and terminology, technical and non-technical challenges
2. fundamental concepts and models – cloud characteristics, cloud service (delivery) models, reference architecture, cloud deployment models
3. technologies behind cloud computing – resource hosting, main components in a datacenter, virtualization, multitenancy
4. cloud architecture – how to organize (partition) resources, how to operate/manage resources to meet certain objectives, cloud bursting
5. cloud applications and paradigms – cloud applications, challenges in developing applications, application development models – IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service), PaaS (Platform as a Service) and SaaS (Software as a Service), MapReduce programming model, K-means clustering using Elastic MapReduce, building a video-sharing SaaS application
6. cloud infrastructures – cloud platforms, cloud interoperability and vendor lock-in, IBM Bluemix Cloud Services, Amazon Web Services, etc.
7. cloud services hands-on – IBM Bluemix cloud - developing PaaS and SaaS applications, Amazon Web Services – developing IaaS, PaaS and SaaS applicationsInstructor: Teo Yong Meng, Com2, #04-39 (email)
Teaching Assistant: Sunimal Rathnayake, Com2, #B1-01 (email)
Lecture: 2-5pm, Executive Classroom (Com2, 0402)
Lab/Tutorial: 9.30-12noon, Programming Lab 2 (Com1, B-09)
• Quiz 1 (closed book): 15%
• Quiz 2 (closed book): 15%
• Lab Exercise 1: 15%
• Lab Exercise 2: 15%
• Online Test (closed book): 40%
Cloud Computing: Concepts, Technology & Architecture, Thomas Erl, et al., Prentice-Hall, 2013 [2 copies available from me for overnight loan].
A total of 524 different hosts have accessed this document in the last 263 days; your host, 18.104.22.168, has accessed it 1 times.
If you're interested, complete statistics for this document are also available, including breakdowns by top-level domain, host name, and date.