Ph.D. (Computer Science, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, 1998)
B.Sc. (Computer Science, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, 1993)
- Algorithms & Theory
- Computational Biology
- Data Mining
Dr. Wing-Kin Sung received both the B.Sc. and the Ph.D. degree in the Department of Computer Science from the University of Hong Kong in 1993, 1998, respectively. He is a professor in the Department of Computer Science, School of Computing, NUS. Also, he is a senior group leader in Genome Institute of Singapore. He has over 20 years experience in Algorithm and Bioinformatics research. He also teaches courses on bioinformatics for both undergraduate and postgraduate. Dr. Sung published over 230 high impact papers, including JACM, SIAM Journal of Computing, RECOMB, Nature, Nature Genetics, Genome Biology, Bioinformatics, etc. He was conferred the 2003 FIT paper award (Japan), the 2006 National Science Award (Singapore), and the 2008 Young Researcher Award (NUS) for his research contribution in algorithm and bioinformatics. His personal website is http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~ksung/.
- Phylogenetic Trees/Networks http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~ksung/projects/phylogenetic_trees/phylogenetic_trees.html
- Compressed Data-structure http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~ksung/projects/compressed_index/compressed_index.html
- Gene Regulation http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~ksung/projects/gene_regulation/gene_regulation.html
Sung, W.-K. (2017), Algorithms for Next-Generation Sequencing, CRC Press.
Jansson, J.; Shen, C. & Sung, W.-K. (2016), 'Improved Algorithms for Constructing Consensus Trees', Journal of the ACM 63(3), 1--24.
Lim, J.-Q.; Tennakoon, C.; Guan, P. & Sung, W.-K. (2015), 'BatAlign: an incremental method for accurate alignment of sequencing reads.', Nucleic Acids Res.
Hoang, D. H. & Sung, W.-K. (2014), 'CWig: Compressed representation of Wiggle/BedGraph format.', Bioinformatics.
Zhang, Z.; Li, G.; Toh, K.-C. & Sung, W.-K. (2013), Inference of Spatial Organizations of Chromosomes Using Semi-definite Embedding Approach and Hi-C Data, in 'RECOMB', pp. 317-332.
Jansson, J.; Sadakane, K. & Sung, W.-K. (2012), 'Ultra-succinct representation of ordered trees with applications', J. Comput. Syst. Sci. 78(2), 619-631.
Sung, W.-K.; Zheng, H.; Li, S.; Chen, R.; Liu, X.; Li, Y.; Lee, N. P.; Lee, W. H.; Ariyaratne, P. N.; Tennakoon, C.; Mulawadi, F. H.; Wong, K. F.; Liu, A. M.; Poon, R. T.; Fan, S. T.; Chan, K. L.; Gong, Z.; Hu, Y.; Lin, Z.; Wang, G.; Zhang, Q.; Barber, T. D.; Chou, W.-C.; Aggarwal, A.; Hao, K.; Zhou, W.; Zhang, C.; Hardwick, J.; Buser, C.; Xu, J.; Kan, Z.; Dai, H.; Mao, M.; Reinhard, C.; Wang, J. & Luk, J. M. (2012), 'Genome-wide survey of recurrent HBV integration in hepatocellular carcinoma.', Nature Genetics
Sung, W.-K. (2009), Algorithms in Bioinformatics: A Practical Introduction, CRC Press.
Awards & Honours
- Wing-Kin Sung. Young Research Award (the highest scientific award in NUS), National University of Singapore, 2008.
- Charlie Wah Heng Lee, Han Xu, Feng Lin, Narang Vipin, Keh Chuang Chin and Wing-Kin Sung. Winner of DREAM2 Challenge: Integrated Multi-Array Supervised Learning Algorithm for BCL-6 Transcriptional Targets Prediction, 2008.
- Yijun Ruan, Chia Lin Wei, Patrick Ng, Wing-Kin Sung. Towards Comprehensive Cataloging and Interrogation of Functional Elements in the Human Genome. National Science Award (the most prestigious scientific award in Singapore), Singapore, 2006.
- Kunihiko Sadakane, Wing-Kin Sung and Wing-Kai Hon. FIT best paper award, Japan, 2003.
- CS1231S: Discrete Structures