The list of accepted papers will be made available after the notification
of the authors. The submission is open until 2 June 2017.
Call for Papers: ALT 2017
The 28th International Conference on Algorithmic Learning Theory (ALT 2017) will be held in Kyoto, Japan, on October 15-17, 2017. The conference is dedicated to the theoretical foundations of machine learning. The conference will be co-located with the 20th International Conference on Discovery Science (DS 2017).
Topics of Interest: We invite submissions with theoretical and algorithmic contributions to new or already existing learning problems including but not limited to:
- Comparison of the strength of learning models and the design and evaluation
of novel algorithms for learning problems in established learning-theoretic
settings such as
- Statistical learning theory
- Supervised learning and regression
- Statistical learning theory
- On-line learning
- Inductive inference
- Query models
- Unsupervised learning
- Semi-supervised and active learning
- Stochastic optimization
- High dimensional and non-parametric inference
- Exploration-exploitation tradeoff, bandit theory
- Reinforcement learning, planning, control
- Learning with additional constraints, e.g., communication, time or memory budget, or privacy
- Analysis of the theoretical properties of existing algorithms such as
- Kernel-based methods, SVM
- Bayesian methods
- Graph- and/or manifold-based methods
- Methods for latent-variable estimation and/or clustering
- Decision tree methods
- Information-based methods, MDL
- Neural networks
- Definition and analysis of new learning models. Models might identify and formalize classes of learning problems inadequately addressed by existing theory or capture salient properties of important concrete applications.
- We are also interested in papers that include viewpoints that are new to the ALT community. We welcome experimental and algorithmic papers provided they are relevant to the focus of the conference by elucidating theoretical results, or by pointing out interesting and not well understood behavior that could stimulate theoretical analysis.
SubmissionsFormat: There is no page limit for submissions, and submissions should include all proofs and technical details necessary to understand the results. However, referees are not required to read beyond the first 12 pages when reviewing submissions. Therefore, it is recommended that the first 12 pages should contain a clear presentation of the papers main contributions and at least sketches of the main arguments.
Formatting: We will be publishing in the JMLR Workshop and Conference Proceedings series. Submissions should be formatted according to the instructions on the following page: http://www.jmlr.org/format/format.html.
Submission Mode: The reviewing process is not double-blind. Authors should list their names and affiliations in their submissions.
Policy: Each submitted paper will be reviewed by the members of the programme committee and be judged on clarity, significance and originality. Joint submissions to other conferences with published proceedings are not allowed. Papers that have appeared in or are under review for other conferences are not appropriate for ALT 2017. The same policy applies to journals, unless the submission is a shorter version of a paper submitted to a journal and has not yet been published. It is, however, acceptable to submit to ALT work that has been made available as a technical report or similar, for example on http://www.arxiv.org.
Proceedings: All accepted papers will be published as a volume in the JMLR Workshop and Conference Proceedings series, and will be available online during the conference.
Link: Authors can submit their papers electronically via our submission page https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=alt20170 which will be opened for submissions in May 2017.
E.M. Gold AwardOne scholarship of EUR 555 will be awarded to a student author of an excellent paper. Please mark student submissions on the title page. Note that this paper can be co-authored by other researchers.
|Full paper submission:||2 June 2017|
|Author notification:||24 July 2017|
|Camera-ready papers due:||15 August 2017|
|Conference:||15-17 October 2017|