Week 13: Recent Papers II
- Ding Feng presents -- "Internet-based Interactive HDTV," B. Yu, K. Nahrstedt, ACM/Springer Multimedia Systems Journal, 9(5) March, 2004 [PDF]
- Denny presents -- "Experiences with multimedia streaming over 2.5G and 3G Networks," J. Chesterfield, R. Chakravorty, J. Crowcroft, P. Rodriguez, S. Banerjee, BroadWIM 2004. [PDF]
- Ashish presents -- "Measurements of the Congestion Responsiveness of Windows Streaming Media," J. Nichols, M. Claypool, R. Kinicki and M. Li, NOSSDAV 2004. [PDF]
- Balaji presents -- "Missed Deadline Notification in Best-Effort Schedulers," S. Banachowski, J. Wu, S. Brandt, MMCN 2004 [PDF]
- Subramanian presents -- "Polishing: A Technique to Reduce Variations in Cached Layer-Encoded Video," M. Zink, O. Heckmann, J. Schmitt, Ralf Steinmetz, MMCN 2004 [PDF]
Week 12: Recent Papers I
- Dai Lu Presents -- "A Time Series-based Approach for Power Management in Mobile Processors and Disks," X. Liu, P. Shenoy, W. Gong, NOSSDAV 2004 [PS] [PowerPoint]
- Satish Presents -- "Scalable Resilient Media Streaming," S. Banerjee, S. Lee, B. Bhattacharjee, A. Srinivasan, and R. Braud, NOSSDAV 2004. [PDF] [PowerPoint]
- Wendong Presents -- "Multiple sender distributed video streaming," T. Nguyen, A. Zakhor, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia 6(2), Apr 2004. [PDF] [PowerPoint]
Week 11: Energy Efficiency
- S. Pasricha, S. Mohapatra, M. Luthra, N. Dutt and N. Venkatasubramanian, "Reducing Backlight Power Consumption for Video Streaming Applications on Mobile Handheld Devices," ESTIMedia 2003
- P. Shenoy, P. Radkov, "Proxy-assisted Power-friendly Streaming to Mobile Devices," MMCN 2003
- W. Yuan, K. Narhstedt, "Energy-Efficient Soft Real-Time CPU Scheduling for Mobile Multimedia Systems", SOSP 2003.
Week 10: CPU Scheduling
- M. B. Jones, D. Rosu, M. Rosu, "CPU Reservations and Time Constraints: Efficient, Predictable Scheduling of Independent Activities," SOSP'97, St-Malo, France, pp. 198-211, Oct. 1997.
- M. B. Jones, J. Regher,
"Predictable Scheduling for Digital Audio," Microsoft Research Technical Report MSR-TR-2000-87.
Week 9: Storage Issues
- P. J. Shenoy and H. M. Vin, "Cello: A disk scheduling framework for next generation operating systems," Technical Report, Department of Computer Sciences, Univ. of Texas at Austin, 1997
- P. J. Shenoy and H. M. Vin,
"Efficient striping techniques for multimedia file servers,"
in Proceedings of NOSSDAV'97, St. Loius, MO, pp. 25--36, May 1997
Slides : Powerpoint File
Week 8: End-System Multicast
"Pay it Forward"
- Y. Chu, S. Rao, S. Sehan and H. Zhang, "A Case For End System Multicast", IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications , pp. 1456--1471, October 2002 [review me!]
- S. Banerjee, B. Bhattacharjee, and C. Kommareddy, "Scalable Application Layer Multicast," SIGCOMM 2002, Pittsburgh, PA, August 2002. [review me!]
- Y. Guo, K. Suh, J. Kurose, D. Towsley
"P2Cast: Peer-to-peer Patching Scheme for VoD Service," WWW 2003.
Week 7: Proxy Caching
"Cache Me If You Can"
- M. Hofmann, E. Ng, K. Guo, S. Paul, and H. Zhang. "Caching techniques for streaming multimedia over the internet," Technical Report BL011345-990409-04TM, Bell Laboratories, April 1999.
- Y. Chae, K. Guo, M. Buddhikot, S. Suri and E. Zegura, "Silo, Rainbow, and Caching Token: Schemes for Scalable, Fault Tolerant Stream Caching", in Journal of Selected Areas in Communications. [review me!]
Week 6: Layered Multicast
- V. Jacobson S. McCanne and M. Vetterli. "Receiver-driven layered multicast". In Proc. of ACM SIGCOMM'96, pages 117--130, Stanford, CA, August 1996.
- L. Wu, R. Sharma, and B. Smith, "Thin Streams: An Architecture for Multicasting Layered Video," In Proceedings of NOSSDAV, St. Louis, Mo., 19--21 May 1997, pp. 173--182 [PDF]
- L. Vicisano, L. Rizzo, and J. Crowcroft, "TCP-like congestion control for layered multicast data transfer",, INFOCOM 1998. [review me!]
Week 5: Error Recovery
"Dude, where is my packet?"
- C. Perkins, O. Hodson, and V. Hardman, "A survey of packet-loss recovery techniques for streaming audio," IEEE Network Magazine , Sept./Oct. 1998.
- J. M. Boyce and R. D. Gaglianello, " Packet loss effects on MPEG video sent over the public Internet," ACM Multimedia, pp. 181--190, 1998 [ACM Digital Library]
- I. Rhee. "Error control techniques for interactive low-bit rate video transmission over the internet." Proceedings of SIGCOMM, 1998.
- N. Feamster, H. Balakrishnan, "Packet Loss Recovery for Streaming Video", in Proceedings of 12th International Packet Video Workshop, April 2002. [review me!]
Week 4: Adaptive Playout
- R. Ramjee, J. Kurose, D. Towsley, and H. Schulzrinne. "Adaptive playout mechanisms for packetized audio applications in wide-area networks." In Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM, Toronto, Canada, June 1994.
- S. B. Moon, J. Kurose, and D. Towsley, "Packet Audio Playout Delay Adjustment: Performance Bounds and Algorithms," ACM/Springer Multimedia Systems, vol. 6, pp. 17-28, January 1998. [PDF] [review me!]
- D. Stone, and K. Jeffay, "An Empirical Study of Delay Jitter Management Policies", In Multimedia Systems, Vol 2 Num 6, Jan 1995, Page 267--279 Slides : Powerpoint
- N. Laoutaris and I. Stavrakakis, " Intrastream Synchronization for Continuous Media Streams:A Survey of Playout Schedulers", IEEE Network Magazine, pp.30-40, 16(3), May/June 2002.
Week 3: Rate Adatation
Adapt your rate, control your congestion, and be a Friend to TCP!
- J. Bolot and T. Turletti. "A rate control mechanism for packet video in the internet," Proc. IEEE Infocomm, pages 1216-- 1223, June 1994
- I. Busse, B. Deffner, and H. Schulzrinne, "Dynamic QoS control of multimedia applications based on RTP," Computer Communications, Jan. 1996
- D. Sisalem and H. Schulzrinne. "The loss-delay based adjustment algorithm: A TCP-friendly adaptation scheme," Workshop on Network and Operating System Support for Digital Audio and Video, 1998. [review me!] Slides : Powerpoint
Week 2: Network
IP Multicast and RTP
- S. Deering, "Host extension to IP multicast", Internet Engineering Task Force, RFC1112.
- S. Deering, D. Estrin, D. Farinacci, V. Jacobson, C-G Liu, L Wei, "The PIM architecture for wide-area multicast routing", IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, 4(2) , April 1996, pg 153 -- 162. [review me!]
- H. Schulzrinne, S. Casner, R. Frederick, and V. Jacobson, "RTP: A transport protocol for real-time applications," Internet Engineering Task Force, Audio-Video Transport Working Group, Jan. 1996, RFC1889. (Note: NEW RFC available -- RFC 3550) (Only need to skim this)
- RTP FAQ
Week 1: media compression
"Honey, I shrunk the files!"
- G. K. Wallace, "The JPEG still picture compression standard," Communication of the ACM, 34(4):30--44, April 1991
- D. Le Gall,"MPEG: A video compression standard for multimedia applications," Communications of the ACM, 34(4):46--58, April 1991
schedule for rest of semester
- Week 9: Media Storage
- Week 10: CPU Scheduling
- Week 11: Power Efficiency
- Week 12, 13: Student Presentation
Stuffs I would like to cover but didn't.
- Smoothing VBR traffic
- Synchronization of audio and video
- Transcoding proxies and media adaptation
- Watermarking and encryption for video stream
- Video on demand protocol
- Media processors