Danny POOAssociate Professor
Deputy Head, Department Of Information Systems and Analytics
- Ph.D. (Computation, University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology)
- M.Sc. (Computation, University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology)
- B.Sc. (Computation, University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology)
Dr. Danny Poo graduated with a BSc (Honours), MSc and PhD in Computation from the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST), United Kingdom. A tenured Associate Professor at School of Computing (SOC), National University of Singapore (NUS), Dr. Poo is a member of the School’s Curriculum Committee tasked in the design and implementation of Information Systems and Computer Science curriculum. As the Curriculum Chair of the Department of Information Systems and Analytics, he is instrumental in the development of undergraduate degree programmes in Information Systems, E-Commerce and Business Analytics at the NUS. He teaches Requirements Analysis and Design, Enterprise JavaBeans, Software Engineering, and Project Management. Dr. Poo was the founding Director of the Centre for Health Informatics, NUS from 2012 to 2015. The Centre is the lead provider of human capital in Health Informatics and its mission is to train healthcare and IT professionals to use Health Informatics to find new ways of delivering healthcare to achieve better patient care and patient satisfaction. The Centre also serves as a hub for Health Informatics research and information exchange. Dr. Poo has been involved in health informatics-related training and has taught courses in “Managing Healthcare Information Technology Projects”, “Introduction to Health Informatics”, "Healthcare Analytics", "Health Informatics Leadership" and “Healthcare Systems, Technologies and Systems”. Dr. Poo has extensive experience in Software Engineering, Information Management, Knowledge Management, and Health Informatics, both in the technical and managerial levels. He has carried out wide-ranging research in the areas of Effective Search Strategies, Relevance Ranking and Feedbacks, Electronic Referencing, Meta-Data, Taxonomy Generation, Information Sharing, Knowledge Management Portals, Object-Oriented Software Engineering, Software Systems Maintenance, Project Management, Business Analytics and Healthcare-related Studies. Dr. Poo serves in the Steering Committee of the Asia Pacific Software Engineering Conference (APSEC) since 1994 and was the Vice-Chairman of the APSEC Steering Committee from 2003 to 2005. He was even invited by the Japanese Government and Fukuoka City to participate in a forum on “USA, Kyushu and Asia International Exchange Project” in 1997 and 2002. Dr. Poo was invited as a keynote speaker in the 2009 Arabic Scripts Second Symposium in Abu Dhabi. He has also spoken in Knowledge Management Conferences in Singapore on topics such as “Creating a Workable Knowledge Classification System”, “Developing a Useable Taxonomy that Supports the Services offered by the Public Sector”, and "How Effective Web Search Can Strengthen Customer Relations". Dr. Poo has authored 5 books in the Information Technology area: “Enterprise JavaBeans for Students”, Cengage Learning, 2014; “Object-Oriented Programming and Java”, Springer-Verlag, 1998 (1st edition) 2007 (2nd edition); "Learn to Program Enterprise JavaBeans 3.0", 3rd edition, Cengage Learning, 2009; “Learn to Program Java”, 4th edition, Cengage Learning, 2009; "Learn to Program Java User Interface", Cengage
Data Science & Business Analytics
- Big Data Analytics
- Information Management
- Software Engineering
- Healthcare Analytics
- Knowledge Management
- NGUYEN DUY*, H and C C D Poo, "Analysis and Design of Mobile Health Interventions towards Informed Shared Decision Making: An Activity Theory-driven perspective". Journal of Decision Systems, 25 2016: 397–409. United Kingdom.
- NGUYEN DUY*, H and C C D Poo, "Automated Mobile Health: Designing a Social Reasoning Platform for Remote Health Management". Social Computing and Social Media, ed. Gabriele Meiselwitz 2016: 34-46. Switzerland: Springer International Publishing. Plenary paper HCI International 2016, 17 - 22 Jul 2016, The Westin Harbour Castle Hotel, Toronto, Canada.
- AHANGAMA*, S and C C D Poo*, "What Methodological Attributes are Essential for Novice Users in Health Analytics? – An Empirical Analysis". 17th International Conference on Human Computer Interaction CHCI 2015 2015. Los Angeles: 17th International Conference on Human Computer Interaction CHCI 2015. Plenary paper 17thInternational Conference on Human Computer Interaction CHCI 2015, 2 - 7 Aug 2015, Los Angeles, United States.
- LEK*, H H and C C D Poo, "Automatic Generation of an Aspect and Domain Sensitive Sentiment Lexicon". International Journal on Artificial Intelligence Tools, 23, no. 4, part.1460019 2014. Singapore.
- AHANGAMA*, S and C C D Poo*, "Unified Structured Process for Health Analytics". Biomedical Engineering, 8 2014: 744-752. United Kingdom.
AWARDS & HONOURS