Abhik ROYCHOUDHURYProvost's Chair Professor
Lead Principal Investigator, Trustworthy Systems from Un-trusted component Amalgamations (TSUNAMi)
Director, Singapore Cybersecurity Consortium (SGCSC)
Director, National Satellite of Excellence in Trustworthy Software Systems
Ph.D. (CS), State University of New York at Stony Brook, 2000
M.S. (CS), State University of New York at Stony Brook, 1997
- Programming Languages & Software Engineering
Research Sub Areas
- Program Analysis
- Program Repair
- Program Synthesis
- Software Testing
- Software Security & Analysis
- Trustworthy Computing
- Program Analysis
- Software Testing
- Software Security
- Trustworthy Systems
Abhik Roychoudhury is a Provost's Chair Professor of Computer Science at the National University of Singapore. He is the Director of the National Satellite of Excellence in Trustworthy Software Systems at Singapore (2019-23). He has previously led the TSUNAMi research center (2015-20), a large five-year long targeted research effort funded by National Research Foundation in the domain of trust-worthy software. He is also the Chairman of the Managing Committee of the Singapore Cyber-security Consortium (2016-22), which is a consortium of 25 companies in the cyber-security space engaging with academia for research and collaboration. His research focuses on software testing and analysis, software security and trust-worthy software construction. His research on automatically repairing programs at a large scale contributes to the vision of self-healing software. He is an ACM Distinguished Member, and has been an ACM Distinguished Speaker (2013-19). His research has been supported by various agencies and companies, including the National Research Foundation (NRF), Office of Naval Research (ONR), Ministry of Education (MoE), A*STAR, Defense Research and Technology Office (DRTech), DSO National Laboratories, Microsoft and IBM. He has been a keynote speaker at different conferences (most recently APSEC 2020) and distinguished lecturer at different universities and institutes. Abhik is a member of the Steering committee of the two flagship conferences in Software Engineering, ICSE and FSE. Specifically he has served as Program Chair of ACM International Symposium on Software Testing and Analysis (ISSTA) 2016, General Chair of ACM SIGSOFT Symposium on Foundations of Software Engineering (FSE) 2022 and Program Co-chair of International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE) 2024. He has served as an Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE) during 2014-18. He is currently serving as an Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing (TDSC) and ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology (TOSEM). His former doctoral students have been placed at universities all over the world as academics (Peking University, University College London, Max-Planck Institute, Shandong, SUSTech, SUTD) and have received various awards for their doctoral research including an ACM SIGSOFT Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Award. Abhik received his own Ph.D. in Computer Science from the State University of New York at Stony Brook in 2000.
Trustworthy Software Systems https://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~abhik/projects/Repair/ https://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~abhik/projects/Fuzz/ https://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~nsoe-tss https://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~tsunami/
Past and present research team members in this group appear here: https://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~abhik/students.htm
Fuzzing and Symbolic Execution https://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~abhik/projects/Fuzz/
Automated Program Repair https://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~abhik/projects/Repair/
Engineering Intelligent Tutoring Systems to teach first year programming
With the increase of enrollments, there exists a need to support technology enabled learning of programming. We are engineering an intelligent tutoring system in a third year course on Foundations of Software Engineering (CS3213). We use requirements from first year students to build this intelligent tutoring system and make it available to first year programming courses in subsequent years.
- SemFix: Program Repair via Semantic Analysis, Hoang D.T. Nguyen, Dawei Qi, Abhik Roychoudhury, Satish Chandra, ACM/IEEE International Conference on Software Engineering, ICSE 2013.
- Angelix: Scalable Multiline Program Patch Synthesis via Symbolic Analysis, Sergey Mechtaev, Jooyong Yi, Abhik Roychoudhury, ACM/IEEE International Conference on Software Engineering, ICSE 2016.
- Coverage-based Greybox Fuzzing as Markov Chain, Marcel Böhme, Van Thuan Pham, Abhik Roychoudhury, 23rd ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security, CCS 2016.
- Chronos: A Timing Analyzer for Embedded Software, Xianfeng Li, Yun Liang, Tulika Mitra and Abhik Roychoudhury, Science of Computer Programming, Volume 69, December 2007.
- Directed Greybox Fuzzing, Marcel Böhme, Van Thuan Pham, Manh Dung Nguyen, Abhik Roychoudhury, 24th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security, CCS 2017.
Awards & Honours
- ACM Distinguished Member (2020)
- IBM Faculty Award 2009.
- ACM Distinguished Speaker (2013 - 19).
- Distinguished Paper Award (ESEC-FSE 2009, ICSE 2020), Distinguished Artifact Award (ISSTA 2021).
- CS4211: Formal Methods for Software Engineering
- CS3213: Foundations of Software Engineering