Ben LEONGAssociate Professor
Director, Centre for Computing for Social Good and Philanthropy (CCSGP)
- Ph.D. (Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2006)
- M.Eng. (Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1997)
- S.B. (Electrical Science & Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1997)
Dr. Ben Leong is an Associate Professor of Computer Science at the National University of Singapore (NUS). He received his S.B. (1997), M.Eng. (1997) and Ph.D. (2006) degrees from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Dr. Leong’s research interests are broadly in the areas of computer networking and distributed systems. He has worked on a number of problems in the areas of sensor networks, network coding and peer-to-peer file transfers in the past. More recently, he has been working on improving communications for mobile cellular networks, TCP and software defined networks. Dr. Leong's teaching has been focused on teaching programming methodology and advanced software engineering to undergraduates. He was a recipient of many teaching awards at both the Faculty and University level. In 2015, he was awarded the NUS Outstanding Educator Award. He currently serves as a the Chair of the CS Department Standing Teaching Committee, where he coordinates the Department's efforts to improve the quality of teaching. Since July 2014, Dr. Leong holds the joint appointment of Director, Experimental Systems & Technology Lab. In this role, Dr. Leong helped to set up the in-house software development capabilities for the Ministry of Education. He currently leads a team of 20 full stack software engineers in the development of modern software systems for MOE using modern technologies like Ruby on Rails, Golang, React, Docker and Kubernetes.
Systems & Networking
Mobile Cellular Networks
Software Defined Networks
- Wai Kay Leong, Wang Zixiao, and Ben Leong, "TCP Congestion Control Beyond Bandwidth-Delay Product for Mobile Cellular Networks". Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on emerging Networking EXperiments and Technologies CoNEXT 2017, Seoul, South Korea. Dec 2017.
- Xiangyun Meng, Wei Wang, and Ben Leong, "SkyStitch: a Cooperative Multi-UAV-based Realtime Video Surveillance System with Stitching". Proceedings of the ACM Multimedia Conference 2015 ACMMM 2015, Brisbane, Australia. Oct 2015.
- Wei Wang, Ben Leong, and Wei Tsang Ooi. "Mitigating Unfairness due to Physical Layer Capture in Practical 802.11 Mesh Networks". IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing. Volume 14, Issue 1, pp 99-112, Apr 2014.
- Yin Xu, Zixiao Wang, Wai Kay Leong, and Ben Leong. "An End-to-End Measurement Study of Modern Cellular Data Networks". Proceedings of the 15th Passive and Active Measurement Conference PAM 2014. Los Angeles, USA. Mar 2014.
- Yin Xu, Ben Leong, Daryl Seah and Ali Razeen. "mPath: High-Bandwidth Data Transfers with Massively-Multipath Source Routing". IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Volume 24, Issue 10, pp 2046-2059, October 2013.
- Manjunath Doddavenkatappa, Mun Choon Chan, and Ben Leong. "Improving Link Quality by Exploiting Channel Diversity in Wireless Sensor Networks". Proceedings of 32nd IEEE Real-Time Systems Symposium RTSS 2011. Vienna, Austria. November 2011.
- Jiangwei Zhou, Yu Chen, Ben Leong, and Pratibha Sundar Sundaramoorthy. "Practical 3D Geographic Routing for Wireless Sensor Networks". Proceedings of the 8th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems SenSys 2010. Zurich, Switzerland. November 2010.
AWARDS & HONOURS
NUS Outstanding Educator Award 2015
ATEA Honour Roll 2011
NUS Annual Teaching Excellence Award (ATEA) AY2009/2010
School of Computing Faculty Teaching Excellence Award Honour Roll AY2009/2010
Faculty Teaching Excellence Award AY2009/2010
2009 ComSoc & Information Theory Society Joint Paper Award
NUS Annual Teaching Excellence Award (ATEA) AY2008/2009
Faculty Teaching Excellence Award AY2008/2009
NUS Annual Teaching Excellence Award (ATEA) AY2007/2008
Faculty Teaching Excellence Award AY2007/2008
Public Service Commission, Overseas Merit Scholarship (1993-1997)