Ph.D. (University of Southern California)
M.S. (University of Southern California)
- Multimedia and Distributed Systems
- Multimedia and Mobile Networking
- Spatio-temporal Data Management
- Streaming Media Architectures
- Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP (DASH)
- Software Defined Networking (SDN)
- Applications of Machine Learning
- AR/VR and Immersive Environments
- Group and Real-Time Communications
- Mobile Location-Based Services
- Multimedia Databases
Roger Zimmermann is a Full Professor at the School of Computing at the National University of Singapore (NUS). He is also Deputy Director with the Smart Systems Institute (SSI) and a lead investigator with the Grab-NUS AI Lab. From 2010 to 2016 he co-directed the Centre of Social Media Innovations for Communities (COSMIC), a research institute funded by the National Research Foundation (NRF) of Singapore. Prior to joining NUS he held the positions of Research Area Director with the Integrated Media Systems Center (IMSC) and Research Assistant Professor at the University of Southern California (USC). He earned his M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from the Viterbi School of Engineering at the University of Southern California. Among his research interests are streaming media architectures, mobile video management, distributed and peer-to-peer systems, spatio-temporal data management and location-based services. Dr. Zimmermann is a Senior Member of the IEEE and a Distinguished Member of the ACM. He has co-authored a book, seven patents and more than three hundred conference publications, journal articles and book chapters in the areas of multimedia, GIS and information management. He has received funding from AI Singapore, NSF (US), A*STAR (Singapore), NUS Research Institute (NUSRI, China), NRF (Singapore), and NSFC (China) as well as several industries such as Seagate, Fuji Xerox, Yunphant, HP, Intel, and Pratt & Whitney. Dr. Zimmermann is on the editorial boards of the IEEE Multimedia Communications Technical Committee (MMTC) Review Board and the Springer International Journal of Multimedia Tools and Applications (MTAP). He is also an associate editor for the ACM Transactions on Multimedia journal (ACM TOMM), the IEEE Open Journal of the Communications Society (OJ-COMS), and he was elected as Secretary of ACM SIGSPATIAL for the term of 1 July 2014 to 30 June 2017. He has served on the conference program committees of many leading conferences and as reviewer of many journals. Recently he was the general chair of the IEEE BigMM 2019, the IEEE ISM 2015 and the ACM Multimedia Systems 2014 conferences, and TPC co-chair of the ACM Multimedia 2020, the IEEE ICME 2019 and the ACM TVX 2017 conferences. Professor Zimmermann is has received numerous awards and accolades for his research and service. He received a number of Best Paper awards (see Awards & Honours below). In systems development he recently he was part of the team that won the silver award at the ACM Multimedia Systems (MMSys 2020) Grand Challenge sponsored by Twitch.tv ("Adaptation Algorithms for Near-Second Latency"). His team placed second at the ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS Cup 2013 contest on geo-fencing out of 29 entries. His Remote Media Immersion (RMI) project was awarded an Honorable Mention in the CENIC 2003 “On the Road to a Gigabit” Awards in the ”Gigabit or Bust” category and an Idea Award by the Internet2 consortium. For his service he received the 2017 Best Editor Award of the IEEE Communications Society, Technical Committee on Multimedia Communications (MMTC) Review Board. He is a recipient the Outstanding Reviewer Award at the Pacific-Rim Conference on Multimedia (PCM 2014) and the Quality Reviewer Award at the IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME 2011). More information about Dr. Zimmermann's research and activities can be found on his Google Scholar Citation page, his DBLP page, his ACM Author page, his ResearchGate page, and his Elsevier Mendeley page. His ORCID persistent digital identifier is 0000-0002-7410-2590 and his Researcher ID is D-7944-2015.
- Indexing and Retrieval of Multi-Viewpoint Surveillance Videos Using Visual Scene Graph
- Learning Multimodal Deep Features for Weakly Labelled Sound Event Detection
- Semantic Road Map Generation from GPS Traces for Real‐time Traffic Management
- Multiview and Multimodal Pervasive Indoor Localisation
- Deep Learning for Medical Image Classification on Mobile Devices
Bentaleb A., Timmerer C., Begen A. C., and Zimmermann R. (2019) "Bandwidth Prediction in Low-Latency Chunked Streaming," 29th ACM Workshop on Network and Operating Systems Support for Digital Audio and Video (NOSSDAV-19), June 21 - 21, 2019, Amherst, MA, USA. (DOI: 10.1145/3304112.3325611) (DASH-IF Excellence in DASH Award)
Kapoor R., Kumar Y., Rajput K., Shah R. R., Kumaraguru P., and Zimmermann R. (2018) "Mind Your Language: Abuse and Offense Detection for Code-Switched Languages," Thirty-second AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-18), February 2–7, 2018, New Orleans, Lousiana, USA. (DOI: 10.1609/aaai.v33i01.33019951) (Best Student Poster)
Hazarika D., Poria S., Zadeh A., Cambria E., Morency L.-P., and Zimmermann R. (2018) "Conversational Memory Network for Emotion Recognition in Dyadic Dialogue Videos," Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics: Human Language Technologies (NAACL-18), June 1-6, 2018, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA. (DOI: 10.18653/v1/N18-1193)
Liu Q., Zhang Y., Liu Z., Yuan Y., Cheng L., and Zimmermann R. (2018) "Multi-modal Multi-task Learning for Automatic Dietary Assessment," Thirty-second AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-18), February 2–7, 2018, New Orleans, Lousiana, USA.
Bentaleb A., Taani B., Begen A. C., Timmerer C., and Zimmermann R. (2018) "A Survey on Bitrate Adaptation Schemes for Streaming Media over HTTP," IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, Vol. 21 (1), pp. 562-585. (DOI: 10.1109/COMST.2018.2862938)
Bentaleb A; Begen AC; Zimmermann R; Harous S (2017) “SDNHAS: An SDN-enabled architecture to optimize QoE in HTTP adaptive streaming,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, Vol. 19 (10), pp. 2136 – 2151. (DOI: 10.1109/TMM.2017.2733344)
Perera D., Zimmermann R. (2017) “Exploring the use of time-dependent cross-network information for personalized recommendations,” MM 2017 - Proceedings of the 2017 ACM Multimedia Conference, pp. 1780 – 1788. (DOI: 10.1145/3123266.3123447)
Liu Z; Cheng L; Liu A; Zhang L; He X; Zimmermann R (2017) “Multiview and multimodal pervasive indoor localization,” MM 2017 - Proceedings of the 2017 ACM Multimedia Conference, pp. 109 – 117. (DOI: 10.1145/3123266.3123436)
Yin Y; Shah RR; Zimmermann R (2016) “A General Feature-based Map Matching Framework with Trajectory Simplification,” 7th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Workshop on GeoStreaming (IWGS), pp. 43 – 52, San Francisco, CA (31 Oct 2016), (DOI: 10.1145/3003421.3003426) (Best Paper Award)
Yin Y; Thapliya R; Zimmermann R (2016) “Encoded Semantic Tree for Automatic User Profiling Applied to Personalized Video Summarization,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, pp. 1 – 1. (DOI: 10.1109/TCSVT.2016.2602832)
Awards & Honours
- Silver Award, received at the ACM Multimedia Systems 2020 Grand Challenge, sponsored by Twitch.tv.
- Best Paper Runner-Up, received at the 6th IEEE Int’l Conference on Cloud Computing and Intelligence Systems (CCIS 2019).
- Best Paper Award, received at the ACM SIGSPATIAL GeoAI 2019 Workshop.
- Honorable Mention Award (Best Paper Runner Up), received at the ACM SIGSPATIAL PredictGIS 2019 Workshop.
- Best Demo Award, received at IEEE BigMM 2019.
- DASH-IF Excellence in DASH Award (1st Prize), received at the 10th ACM Int’l Conference on Multimedia Systems (ACM MMSys) 2019.
- Best Student Poster Award at Thirty-Third AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 2019).
- Director of the IEEE Multimedia Communications Technical Committee (MMTC) Review Board (2018).
- Publons Peer Review Awards 2018, top 1% of reviewers in Computer Science for 2017-2018 Award year.
- DASH-IF Grand Challenge on DASH (1st Prize), received at the IEEE ICME 2018 conference.
- DASH-IF Excellence in DASH Award (1st Prize), received at the 9th ACM Int’l Conference on Multimedia Systems (ACM MMSys) 2018.
- Best Student Paper Award at the 9th ACM Int’l Conference on Multimedia Systems (ACM MMSys) 2018.
- Elected ACM Distinguished Member (2017).
- Best Paper Award at the 7th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Workshop on GeoStreaming (IWGS 2016).
- His team placed second at the ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS Cup 2013 contest on geo-fencing out of 29 entries.
- In 2012 he received the Best Paper Award at the IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia (ISM 2012).
- He was nominated for the IEEE Communications Society, Multimedia Communications Technical Committee (MMTC) Best Paper Award in 2010.
- His Remote Media Immersion (RMI) project was awarded an Honorable Mention in the CENIC 2003 “On the Road to a Gigabit” Awards in the ”Gigabit or Bust” category and an Idea Award by the Internet2 consortium.
- For his service he received the 2017 Best Editor Award of the IEEE Communications Society, Technical Committee on Multimedia Communications (MMTC) Review Board.
- He is a recipient the Outstanding Reviewer Award at the Pacific-Rim Conference on Multimedia (PCM 2014) and the Quality Reviewer Award at the IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME 2011)
- CS2105: Introduction to Computer Networks