Mohan KANKANHALLIProvost's Chair Professor
Dean, Dean's Office
Co-Director, Sensor-enhanced Social Media Centre (SeSaMe)
Lead Principal Investigator, NUS Centre for Research in Privacy Technologies (NCRiPT)
- Ph.D. (Computer & Systems Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1990)
- M.S. (Computer & Systems Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1988)
- B.Tech. (Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, 1986)
Professor Mohan Kankanhalli is the Dean of NUS School of Computing where he is the Provost’s Chair Professor of Computer Science. Before becoming the Dean in 2016, He was the NUS Vice Provost (Graduate Education) during 2014-2016 and Associate Provost (Graduate Education) during 2011-2013. Earlier, he was the Vice-Dean for Academic Affairs & Graduate Studies at the NUS School of Computing during 2008-2010 and Vice-Dean for Research during 2001-2007. Prof Kankanhalli’s research interests are in Multimedia Computing, Information Security and Privacy, Image/Video Processing and Social Media Analysis. He has made many contributions in the area of multimedia content processing – image and video understanding, data fusion, visual saliency as well as in multimedia security – content authentication and privacy, multi-camera surveillance. He is actively involved in the Multimedia Systems research community and was the Director of Conferences for ACM SIG Multimedia during 2009-2013. He is on the editorial boards of several journals including ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications and Applications, Springer Multimedia Systems, IEEE Multimedia, Pattern Recognition, and Journal on Big Data. He directs the SeSaMe (Sensor-enhanced Social Media) Centre which does fundamental exploration of social cyber-physical systems which has applications in social sensing, sensor analytics and smart systems. SeSaMe, which has been funded by Singapore’s National Research Foundation, works with many industry and academic partners.
- Multimedia Computing
- Multimedia Security and Privacy
- Image/Video Processing and Social Media Analysis
- ClickSmart: A Context-Aware Viewpoint Recommendation System for Mobile Photography, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Y.S. Rawat and M.S. Kankanhalli, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 149-158, 2017.
- Hierarchical Clustering Multi-task Learning for Joint Human Action Grouping and Recognition, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, A.A. Liu, Y.T. Su, W.Z. Nie and M. Kankanhalli, Vol. 39, No. 1 pp. 102-114, 2017.
- Multi-Camera Action Dataset for Cross-Camera Action Recognition Benchmarking, W. Li, Y. Wong, A.A. Liu, Y. Li, Y.T. Su and M. Kankanhalli, IEEE Winter Conference on Applications of Computer Vision WACV 2017, Mar 2017.
- Cyber-Physical Social Networks, C. von der Weth, A.M. Abdul and M. Kankanhalli, ACM Transactions on Internet Technology, Vol. 17, No. 2, May 2017.
- Content based Authentication of Visual Cryptography, G. Wang, W. Yan and M. Kankanhalli, Multimedia Tools and Applications, Vol. 76, No. 7, Apr 2017.
- As-Similar-as-Possible Saliency Fusion, T.V. Nguyen and M. Kankanhalli, Multimedia Tools and Applications, Vol. 76, No. 8, Apr 2017.
- A Comprehensive Evaluation of Support Vector Machine in Hand Movement Classification Using Surface Electromyography, W. Wei, Y. Wong, Y. Hu, Y. Du and M. Kankanhalli, Nanoscience and Nanotechnology Letters, Vol. 9, No. 5, pp. 741-753, May 2017.
- Hierarchical & Multimodal Video Captioning: Discovering and Transferring Multimodal Knowledge for Vision to Language, A.A. Liu, N. Xu, Y. Wong, J. Li, Y.T. Su and M. Kankanhalli, Computer Vision and Image Understanding, May 2017.
- Benchmarking a Multimodal and Multiview and Interactive Dataset for Human Action Recognition, A.A. Liu, N. Xu, W.Z. Nie, Y.T. Su, Y. Wong and M. Kankanhalli, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, Vol. 47, No. 7, July 2017.
- Multimedia Signatures for Vehicle Forensics, A. Mehrish, A.V. Subramanyam and M. Kankanhalli, IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo ICME2017, pp. 685-690, July 2017.
- Exploring User-Specific Information in Music Retrieval, Z. Cheng, J. Shen, L. Nie, T.S. Chua and M. Kankanhalli, International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval SIGIR2017, Aug 2017.
- Optimizing Trade-offs among Stakeholders in Real-time Bidding by Incorporating Multimedia Metrics, X. Chen, B. Chen and M.S. Kankanhalli, International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval SIGIR2017, Aug 2017.
- MM2RTB: Bringing Multimedia Metrics to Real-time Bidding, X. Chen, B. Chen and M.S. Kankanhalli, International Workshop on Data Mining for Online Advertising AdKDD+TargetAd, KDD Workshop, Aug 2017.
- Exploring Music Play Sequence for Music Recommendation, Z. Cheng, J. Shen, L. Nie and M. Kankanhalli,International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence IJCAI2017, Aug 2017.
- Semi-supervised Learning for Surface EMG-based Gesture Recognition, Y. Du, Y. Wong, W. Wei, Y. Hu, M. Kankanhalli and W. Geng, International Joint conference on Artificial Intelligence IJCAI, Aug 2017.
- Online Object Tracking based on CNN with Spatial-temporal Saliency Guided Sampling, P. Zhang, T. Zhuo,
- W. Huang, K. Chen and M. Kankanhalli, Neurocomputing, Vol. 257, pp. 115-127, Sep 2017.
- A Spring-Electric Graph Model for Socialized Group Photography, Y. Rawat, M. Song and M.S. Kankanhalli, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, Sep 2017.
- Dual-Glance Model for Deciphering Social Relationships, J. Li, Y. Wong, Q. Zhao and M. Kankanhalli, International Conference on Computer Vision ICCV2017, Oct 2017.
- Understanding Fashion Trends from Street Photos via Neighbor-Constrained Embedding Learning, X. Gu, Y. Wong, P. Peng, L. Shou, G. Chen and M. Kankanhalli, ACM International Conference on Multimedia ACMMM2017, Oct 2017.
- Affect Recognition in Ads with Application to Computational Advertising, A. Shukla, S. Gullapuram, H. Katti, K. Yadati, M. Kankanhalli and R. Subramanian, ACM International Conference on Multimedia ACMMM2017, Oct 2017.
- Attention Transfer from Web Images for Video Recognition, J. Li, Y. Wong, Q. Zhao and M. Kankanhalli, ACM International Conference on Multimedia ACMMM2017, Oct 2017.
- The Role of Visual Attention in Sentiment Prediction, S. Fan, M. Jiang, B. Koenig, Z. Shen, M. Kankanhalli, and Q.Zhao, ACM International Conference on Multimedia ACMMM2017, Oct 2017.
- Evaluating Content-Centric vs. User-Centric Ad Affect Recognition, A. Shukla, S. Gullapuram, H. Katti, K. Yadati, M. Kankanhalli and R. Subramanian, ACM International Conference on Multimodal Interaction ICMI2017, Nov 2017.
- Saliency Flow based Video Segmentation via Motion Guided Contour Refinement, P. Zhang, T. Zhuo, H. Huang and M.S. Kankanhalli, Signal Processing, Vol. 142, pp. 431-440 Jan 2018.
AWARDS & HONOURS