Terence SIMAssociate Professor
Vice Dean, Communications
Second Vice President, International Association of Pattern Recognition
Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence
- Ph.D. (Electrical & Computer Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University)
- M.S. (Computer Science, Stanford University)
- S.B. (Computer Science & Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
Explain. Demonstrate. Experiment. Inspire. The above sums up Dr. Terence Sim's teaching and research philosophy. Over the years, Dr. Sim has had the pleasure of teaching many courses - Introductory Programming, Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Digital Visual Effects, Theoretical Foundations of Multimedia, Analysis of Multimedia - and interacting with many talented students. He is currently teaching a freshmen module in Discrete Structures, and a graduate module in Biometrics Authentication. For research, Dr. Sim explores several areas related to Visual Computing: Facial image analysis, Multimodal biometrics, Facial rendering, Computational photography, Continuous authentication, Music transcription, to name a few. He combines machine learning with physics-based modeling and graphics rendering to tackle the challenges in research. Dr Sim also provides consultancy in biometrics, which can be in the form of training, feasibility study, or technical assessment. Dr. Sim has published over 100 papers in top international journals and conferences. He is active both as Reviewer and as Senior Program Committee Member in numerous conferences. He is also an IEEE Member. He served as President of the Pattern Recognition and Machine Intelligence Association in Singapore from 2014 to 2016, and was also Vice President from 2010 to 2014. Dr. Sim also strongly believes in International Standards and served as Chairman of Workgroup 6: Cross-Jurisdiction and Societal Issues of the Biometrics Technical Committee in Singapore from 2006 to 2014. Dr. Sim considers it a blessing and privilege to have attended, and graduated from three top universities in the world: He obtained his Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Engineering in 1990 from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), his Master of Science in Computer Science in 1991 from Stanford University, and his Doctor of Philosophy in Electrical Engineering in 2002 from Carnegie Mellon University.
Biometrics: Gait, Face, Continuous Authentication
Facial Image Analysis and Synthesis
- Jianshu Li, Jian Zhao, Congyan Lang, Yidong Li, Yunchao Wei, Guodong Guo, Terence Sim, Shuicheng Yan, and Jiashi Feng. 2021. Multi-human Parsing with a Graph-based Generative Adversarial Model. <i>ACM Trans. Multimedia Comput. Commun. Appl.</i> 17, 1, Article 29 April 2021, 21 pages. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1145/3418217
- S. Rasnayaka and T. Sim, "Your Tattletale Gait Privacy Invasiveness of IMU Gait Data," 2020 IEEE International Joint Conference on Biometrics IJCB, 2020, pp. 1-10, doi: 10.1109/IJCB48548.2020.9304922.
- T. Pranavan and T. Sim, "Learning with Delayed Feedback," 2020 25th International Conference on Pattern Recognition ICPR, 2021, pp. 4895-4902, doi: 10.1109/ICPR48806.2021.9411917.
- Jian Li, Wee Kheng Leow, Terence Sim and Guodong Li, "Multi-view Separation of Background and Reflection by Coupled Low-rank Decomposition", CAIP 2017 Best Paper Award, CAIP 2017.
- Jianshu Li, Jian Zhao, Fang Zhao, Hao Liu, Jing Li, Shengmei Shen, Jiashi Feng and Terence Sim. "Robust Face Recognition with Deep Multi-view Representation Learning", ACM Multimedia 2016.
AWARDS & HONOURS
Face and Gesture 2017 "Test of Time Award"
Computer Analysis of Images and Patterns 2017 "Best Paper Award"
NUS Faculty Teaching Excellence Award 2003 and 2005
Temasek Young Investigator Award 2005