WONG Lim SoonKITHCT Chair Professor
Deputy Dean, NUS Graduate School
Ph.D. (Computer & Information Science, University of Pennsylvania)
B.Sc. (Engineering)(Computing Science) with First Class Honours (Imperial College London)
- Computational Biology
- Algorithms & Theory
- Database Theory and Systems
- Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
- Knowledge Discovery and Datamining
Wong Limsoon is Kwan-Im-Thong-Hood-Cho-Temple Professor in the School of Computing at the National University of Singapore (NUS). He was also a professor (now honorary) of pathology in the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine at NUS. Before coming to NUS, he was the Deputy Executive Director for Research at A*STAR's Institute for Infocomm Research. He currently works mostly on knowledge discovery technologies and their application to biomedicine. He has also done, in the earlier part of his career, significant research in database query language theory and finite model theory, as well as significant development work in broad-scale data integration systems. Limsoon is a Fellow of the ACM, inducted for his contributions to database theory and computational biology. Some of his other awards include the 2003 FEER Asian Innovation Gold Award for his work on treatment optimization of childhood leukemias, the 2006 Singapore Youth Award Medal of Commendation for his sustained contributions to science and technology, and the ICDT 2014 Test of Time Award for his work on naturally embedded query languages. He co-founded Molecular Connections in India, and has served as its chairman for over a decade, seeing the company growing progressively to some 2,000 information curators, software engineers, research scientists.
- Intentional expressive power of query languages
- Analysis of proteomic and transcriptomic profiling data
- Processing and analysis of next-generation sequencing data
Limsoon Wong. A dichotomy in the intensional expressive power of nested relational calculi augmented with aggregate functions and a powerset operator. Proceedings of 32nd ACM Symposium on Principles of Database Systems, pages 285-295, New York, June 2013.
Hon Nian Chua, Wing-Kin Sung, Limsoon Wong. Exploiting Indirect Neighbours and Topological Weight to Predict Protein Function from Protein-Protein Interactions.Bioinformatics, 22:1623-1630, July 2006.
Kevin Lim, Limsoon Wong. Finding consistent disease subnetworks using PFSNet. Bioinformatics, 30(2):189-196, January 2014.
Wilson Wen Bin Goh, Limsoon Wong. Advancing clinical proteomics via analysis based on biological complexes: A tale of five paradigms. Journal of Proteome Research, 15(9):3167-3179, July 2016.
Wilson Wen Bin Goh, Limsoon Wong. Why breast cancer signatures are no better than random signatures explained. Drug Discovery Today, 23(11):1818--1823, November 2018.
Awards & Honours
- Pingat Pentadbiran Awam (Gangsa), 2014
- ICDT 2014 Test of Time Award, 2014 (with Peter Buneman and Val Tannen)
- Fellow of the ACM, 2013
- Winner, Protein-Protein Subnetwork Challenge, the 2nd Dialogue for Reverse Engineering Assessments and Methods (DREAM), 2007 (with Kenny Chua, Hugo Willy, Guimei Liu, Xiaoli Li, and See-Kiong Ng)
- Singapore Youth Award Medal of Commendation, 2006
- Asian Innovation Award (Gold), 2003 (with Allen Yeoh, Huiqing Liu, and Jinyan Li)
- Singapore Youth Award, 1999
- ASEAN Certificate of Achievements, 1998
- Singapore National Academy of Science Young Scientist Award, 1997
- Tan Kah Kee Young Inventors Award (Gold), 1997
- CS2220: Introduction to Computational Biology