TAN Wee KekAssociate Professor (Educator Track)
Assistant Dean, Student Life
- Ph.D. (Information Systems, National University of Singapore)
- B.Comp. (Information Systems, National University of Singapore)
Dr. TAN Wee Kek is currently an Associate Professor in the Department of Information Systems and Analytics at the School of Computing, National University of Singapore. He is also currently serving as an Assistant Dean (Student Life) in the School of Computing, and a Fellow and EXCO member of the NUS Teaching Academy. He graduated with a Doctor of Philosophy in Information Systems in July 2013 and a Bachelor of Computing in Information Systems (1st Class Honours) in July 2007, both from the National University of Singapore. Prior to this, he attended Singapore Polytechnic and graduated with a Diploma in Computer Information Systems with Merit in July 2001. His current primary research interests focus on consumer-based information technology (e.g., online decision aids, social computing, virtual worlds and consumer cloud services). Most of his research is based on design science, a well-established problem-solving paradigm that has been widely adopted in information systems research. His current secondary research interests focus on information systems education. His work has been published or is forthcoming in journals such as Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology (JASIST), Decision Support Systems (DSS), Communications of the Association for Information Systems (CAIS), and Journal of Information Systems Education (JISE). His work has also been presented or is forthcoming in conferences such as ACM SIGMIS Computer Personnel Research Conference (SIGMIS-CPR), IFIP Working Group 8.2 Working Conference (IFIP WG8.2), European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS), Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS), and International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (ICHCI). He has won the faculty level Research Achievement Award in 2013 and was a nominee for the ACM SIGMIS 2009 Magid Igbaria Outstanding Conference Paper of the Year. His current teaching interests include imparting senior undergraduate students with knowledge and skills to develop enterprise information systems as well as teaching them principles of information security management, and concepts of mobile and ubiquitous commerce. He has won the University level Annual Teaching Excellence Award for AY 2009 to 2012. In addition to this, he has also won the Faculty Teaching Excellence Award for AY 2008 to 2011 as well as the Faculty Best Teaching Assistant Award for AY 2007/2008. For his sustained commitment to teaching excellence, he has been placed on the Faculty Teaching Excellence Award Honour Roll for AY 2010/2011 and University level Annual Teaching Excellence Award Honour Roll for AY 2012/2013. He is presently the lead faculty mentor of the NUS BiZiT Society, a student special interest group on business and information technology.
Consumer-based Information Technology (e.g., online decision aids, social computing, virtual worlds and consumer cloud services)
Information Systems Education
- Tan, W. K., Teo, H. H., Tan, C. H., and Yang, Y. "The Social Dimension of Mobile Commerce – Engaging Customers through Group Purchase," inLecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 9751, HCI in Business, Government, and Organizations: eCommerce and Innovation, Nah, F. F.-H. and Tan, C. H. Eds, Springer International Publishing, Switzerland, 2016, pp. 468-479. Proceedings of the 18thInternational Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Toronto, Canada, July 17-22, 2016 ICHCI
- Tan, W. K., and Teo, H. H. "Productpedia – A Collaborative Electronic Product Catalog for Ecommerce 3.0," inLecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 9191, HCI in Business, Nah, F. F.-H. and Tan, C. H. Eds, Springer International Publishing, Switzerland, 2015, pp. 370-381. Proceedings of the 17thInternational Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Los Angeles, California, United States, August 2-7, 2015 ICHCI
- Tan, W. K., Tan, C. H., and Teo, H. H. "When Two is Better than One - Product Recommendation with Dual Information Processing Strategies," inLecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 8527, HCI in Business, Nah, F. F.-H. Ed, Springer International Publishing, Switzerland, 2014, pp. 775-786. Proceedings of the 16thInternational Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Creta Maris, Heraklion, Crete, Greece, June 22-27, 2014 ICHCI
- Tan, W. K., Tan, C. H., and Teo, H. H. "Conveying Information Effectively in a Virtual World: Insights from Synthesized Task Closure and Media Richness,"Journal of the American Society for Information Science and TechnologyJASIST 63:6, June 2012, pp. 1198-1212.
- Tan, W. K., Tan, C. H., and Teo, H. H. "Consumer-based Decision Aid that Explains Which to Buy: Decision Confirmation or Overconfidence Bias?,"Decision Support SystemsDSS 53:1, April 2012, pp. 127-141.
- Tan, W. K., and Tan, C. H. "Teaching Information Systems Development via Process Variants,"Journal of Information Systems EducationJISE 21:2, Summer 2010, pp. 159-172.
- Tan, C. H., Tan, W. K., and Teo, H. H. "Designing an Information Systems Development Course to Incorporate Agility, Flexibility, and Adaptability,"Communications of the Association for Information SystemsCAIS 26, March 2010, Article 10, pp. 171-194.
- Tan, W. K., and Teo, H. H. "Training Students to be Innovative Information Systems Developers: Synergizing Project-based Learning with Problem-based Learning," inProceedings of the 47thACM SIGMIS Computer Personnel Research ConferenceSIGMIS-CPR, Limerick, Ireland, May 28-30, 2009, pp. 19-32.[2009 Magid Igbaria Outstanding Conference Paper of the Year Nominee]
AWARDS & HONOURS