Min-Yen Kan (靳民彦)
Computing 1, 13 Computing Drive
National University of Singapore
++ (65) 6516-1885 |
++ (65) 6779-4580
I am teaching CS 3245 Information
Retrieval for Semester II for the 2016/2017 academic year.
I also ran a section of CS 6101
Exploration of CS Research on Deep Learning for NLP in Sem I.
Past introductory level course materials (i.e., CS 1xxx) can be
found in IVLE. For such courses, I do not maintain a separate web
While at SoC, I have taught:
- CP 3108B Orbital in:
- Special Term III/IV (2016) - Student feedback on me and on the module.
- Special Term III/IV (2015) - Student feedback on me and on the module.
- Special Term III/IV (2014) - Student feedback on me and on the module.
- Special Term III/IV (2013) - No feedback was captured for this cohort.
I piloted this course for SoC's inaugural runs, and currently co-organize and co-administrate this course; various faculty, students, alumni and interested parties as well as myself co-teach it; so interpret the student feedback on me with care. This enrichment programme now is assigned to Drs Zhao Jin and Anand Ramchand as the main coordinators.
- CS 1101Z Programming Methodology in:
- CS 1102 Data Structures and Algorithms in:
- Semester II (2008/2009), student feedback on me and on the module (X version, Y version).
- Semester II (2002/2003), student feedback on me and on the module.
- CS 3243 Introduction to Artificial Intelligence (previously known as Foundations of Artificial Intelligence) in:
Check out photos from the robotics project of the course. I and Dr. Terence Sim introduced the use of the Mindstorms kits to SoC students during the 2003/2004 semester.
- CS 3244 Machine Learning in:
This was the hardest course to teach as I had very little warning to prepare for the course. I hope I will be able to improve on my teaching for this material!
- CS 3245 Information Retrieval in:
- CS 4249 Phenomena and Theories of Human-Computer Interaction in:
- CS 5246 Text Processing on the Web in:
- CS 6101 Exploration of Computer Science Research in:
In 2016/2017, I opened the course to the general public and we had over 50 industrial attendees. We had a lot of fun coordinating student instructors for the topics and communicated with Slack.
- CS 6210 Special Topics in Computer Science: Digital Libraries (Semester I, 2003/2004, student feedback on me and on the module)
- CS 6242 Digital Libraries (previously CS 5244 Digital Libraries) in:
Check out the student projects in 2005 and in 2004 from the courses.
I was awarded the Faculty Teaching Excellence Award in 2016 for my teaching performance in 2015.
I have taught a three day practical natural language processing course, geared towards industry participants. The slides and materials are open for others to use and learn from as needed.
I have also taught CSW 3131 Y (Data Structures and Algorithms) in the Spring of 1999 at Columbia University, while I was a graduate student.
Doing research as an undergraduate or planning to? Read my notes
on FYP/UROP projects.