Gary TANAssociate Professor
Vice Dean, Student Life
- Ph.D. (University of Manchester, UK)
- M.Sc. (University of Manchester, UK)
- B.Sc. (Honours, National University of Singapore)
Gary Tan was a pioneer in the Direct Honours Programme of the National University of Singapore and received his B.Sc (1st class Honours) from NUS. He received his M.Sc and Ph.D from the University of Manchester , U.K. He has been lecturing at the School of Computing , National University of Singapore since 1990, and was the recipient of Teaching Awards of the Faculty of Science in both 1992 and 1998, the Teaching Excellence Awards from the School in 1999, 2002, 2016 and the NUS Annual Teaching Excellence Award for 03/04, 04/05 and 06/07. He is also on the ATEA Honour roll for 2008. His research interests include parallel and distributed computing, scheduling and load balancing, declarative multiprocessors, parallel and distributed (interactive) simulation and High Level Architecture. He is currently working on Symbiotic Simulation and Traffic Simulation. He is a member of the Modelling and Simulation Group which is part of the Computer Systems Lab. He has served as Chair of the NUS PROSE committee, a cross-faculty agency tasked with promoting the use of good English in the University. He was also a Resident Fellow of Kent Ridge Hall (1993-2003), and was Master of Sheares Hall (2003-2013). He is now Vice Dean of Student Life at the school. He has had project collaborations with KTH (Royal Institute of Technology),Sweden, and FOI (Swedish Defence Research Agency), and is a collaborator with SMART, and Beihang University. He serves on the program committee of Distributed Simulation and Real-time Systems Symposium, and is on the Editorial Board of the International Journal of Modelling, Simulation, and Scientific Computing (World Scientific). He was Co-chair of AsiaSim2013 ( held in Singapore in November 2013). He was Program Chair of DSRT 2016 held in London, and Conference Co-chair of SIMUTOOLS 2016 held in Prague. He is president of the Society of Simulation and Gaming of Singapore (SSAGsg) and he is currently Chair President of the ASIASIM federation.
Systems & Networking
- Parallel and Distributed Systems
- Symbiotic Simulation
- Traffic and Crisis Management Simulation
- Scheduling and Load Balancing
- High Level Architecture
- Modelling and Simulation
- Declarative Multiprocessors
- S. Hetu, S. Gupta, G. Tan, V. Vu, “A Simulation Framework for Crisis Management: Design and Use”, accepted for publication, Journal of Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, Elsevier.
- Vu Vinh An, G. Tan, “High Performance Mesoscopic Traffic Simulation with GPU for Large Scale Networks”, Proceedings of 21st International Symposium on Distributed Simulation and Real-time Applications, Rome, Italy, October 2017.
- X. Song, Z. Xie, Y. Xu, G. Tan, Wenjie Tang, Jing Bi, and Xiaosong Li, “Supporting Real-world Network-oriented Mesoscopic Traffic Simulation on GPU”, Journal of Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, Vol 74, pp 46-63. May 2017.
- Gupta, S., Seshadri R., Atasoy, B., Pereira, F., Wang, S., Vu, V., Tan, G., Dong, W., Lu, Y., Antoniou, C. and Ben-Akiva, M.,“Real Time Optimisation of Network Control Strategies in DynaMIT 2.0”, in TRB 95th Annual Meeting 2016, USA, Jan 2016.
- Xu Y, X Song, Z Y Weng and G S H Tan, "An Entry Time?based Supply Framework for Mesoscopic Traffic Simulation". Simulation Practice and Theory, 47 2014: 182?195. Netherlands.
- Raczy, C, G S H Tan and J Yu, "A Sort?based DDM Matching Algorithm for HLA". ACM Transactions on Modeling and Computer Simulation, 15, no. 1 2005: 14?38. United States. 60 citations.
- Taylor, S J E, R Sudra, T Janahan, G S H Tan and J Ladbrooke, "GRIDS-SCF: An Infrastructure for Distributed Supply Chain Simulation". Simulation: Transactions of Society for Modeling and Simulation International, 78, no. 5 Special issue on Supply Chain 2002. United Kingdom.
- G Tan, C Raczy, J Yu, R Ayani, S Tay, “Adaptive Data Distribution Management for HLA RTI”, Proceedings of European Simulation Interoperability Workshop Euro-SIW, 2002.
- Tan, G S H, Y S Zhang and R Ayani, "A Hybrid Approach to DDM". 4th IEEE International Workshop on Distributed Simulation and Real-time Applications, ed. A. Boukerche, M. Pullen, and P. Reynolds: 55-61. San Francisco, USA: IEEE Computer Society. Aug 2000, San Francisco, United States.
- Tan, G S H and W N Chin, "Load balancing and scheduling in a neighbourhood?based multiprocessor". Computers and Artificial Intelligence, 14, no. 1 1995: 35?56. Czechoslovakia.
AWARDS & HONOURS
2016 ASIASIM FELLOW