Atreyi KANKANHALLIProvost's Chair Professor
- Ph.D. (Information Systems, National University of Singapore)
- M.S. (Electrical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute)
- B.Tech. (Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi)
Atreyi Kankanhalli is Provost's Chair Professor and Deputy Head (Research and Administration) in the Dept. of Information Systems and Analytics, School of Computing at the National University of Singapore (NUS). She has also served as Assistant Dean (Research) and Assistant Dean (Undergraduate Studies) at the School of Computing. She is the Coordinator of the Service Systems Innovation Research Laboratory at NUS. She obtained her B. Tech. from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi, M.S. from RPI, New York, and Ph.D. from NUS. She has had visiting stints at the London School of Economics, University of California Berkeley, ESSEC Business School, and the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. Prior to joining NUS, she has considerable experience in industrial R&D. She has consulted for several organizations including World Bank and Bosch SEA. Professor Kankanhalli conducts research in the areas of online communities and digital collaboration, digital transformation and innovation in service sectors (e.g., eGovernment, Healthcare), and IT governance and policy, with a range of organizations sponsored by government and industry grants. Her work has appeared in premium journals such as MIS Quarterly, Information Systems Research, Research Policy, Journal of Management Information Systems, ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication, Journal of AIS, Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, International Journal of Human Computer Studies, Communications of the ACM, and Decision Support Systems. Her research has been presented at leading conferences including ICIS, Academy of Management Meeting, HICSS, and WITS. She has over 180 publications which have been highly cited (https://scholar.google.com.sg/citations?user=7BS9rX8AAAAJ&hl=en) Professor Kankanhalli regularly serves on program committees and chairs tracks for conferences such as ICIS, AoM, ICEGOV, PACIS, and ICKM. She serves or has served on the editorial boards of prestigious journals including Information Systems Research (Associate Editor), MIS Quarterly (Senior Editor, Associate Editor), Journal of AIS (Senior Editor), IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Government Information Quarterly, and Information and Management (Associate Editor), among others. She has been Program Chair for ICEGOV 2018, PACIS 2015, and BDAH 2014. She is currently Program Chair for ICIS 2021. She has been invited to serve on the ICKM and SSME Councils. She has also served on the AIS finance committee and the OCIS executive committee as international representative at large. She is currently the AIS Vice President for Region 3. Professor Kankanhalli has taught courses on a range of information systems (IS) topics such as quantitative methods, information organization, electronic government, health informatics, information security policy, service systems, and compliance and regulation technology among others. She has been invited to speak at numerous local and international forums. Apart from conducting executive education, she has been involved in writing teaching materials such as training cases and a textbook. Professor Kankanhalli was awarded the President's Graduate Fellowship, Dean's Graduate Award, and Infocomm Development Authority Gold Medal at NUS. She is also the winner of the ACM-SIGMIS Best Doctoral Dissertation award and runner-up for the MISQ Reviewer of the Year award. She is a recipient of the IBM Faculty Award and the IBM Smarter Planet Industry Skills Innovation Award. She has received several best paper awards. She has been listed among the leading IS researchers globally (https://www.aisresearchrankings.org/)
Data Science & Business Analytics
Digital Transformation, Platforms & Innovation
Online Communities and Digital Collaboration
Digital Transformation & Innovation in Service Sectors (such as Government and Healthcare)
IT Governance & Policy
- Bhattacharyya, S., Banerjee, S., Bose, I., and Kankanhalli, A. forthcoming “Temporal Effects of Repeated Recognition and Lack of Recognition on Online Community Contributions”, Journal of Management Information Systems.
- Ge, C., Huang, K.W., and Kankanhalli, A. 2020 "Platform Skills and the Value of New Hires in the Software Industry", Research Policy, 491, 103864.
- Kim, H.W., Kankanhalli, A., and Lee, S. 2018 “Examining Gifting through Social Network Services: A Social Exchange Theory Perspective”, Information Systems Research, 294, 805-828.
- Huang, P., Kankanhalli, A., Kyriakou, H., and Sabherwal, R. 2018 “Knowledge Management,” in MIS Quarterly Research Curations, Ashley Bush and Arun Rai, Eds., http://misq.org/research-curations.
- Ye, H., and Kankanhalli, A. 2018 “User Service Innovation on Mobile Phone Platforms: Investigating Impacts of Lead Userness, Toolkit Support, and Design Autonomy”, MIS Quarterly, 421, 165-187.
- Phang, C.W., Kankanhalli, A., and Tan, B.C.Y. 2015 "What Motivates Contributors versus Lurkers? An Investigation of Online Policy Deliberation Forums", Information Systems Research, 264, 773-792.
- Kankanhalli, A., Ye, H., and Teo, H.H. 2015 "Comparing Potential and Actual Innovators: An Empirical Study of Mobile Data Services Innovation", MIS Quarterly, 393, 667-682.
- Phang, C.W., A. Kankanhalli, and L. Huang 2014-15 "Drivers of Quantity and Quality of Participation in Online Policy Deliberation Forums", Journal of Management Information Systems, 313, 172-212.
- Kim, H.W., H.C. Chan, and A. Kankanhalli 2012, “What Motivates People to Purchase Digital Items on Virtual Community Websites? The Desire for Online Self-presentation”, Information Systems Research, 234, 1232-1245.
- Xu, Y., H.W. Kim, and A. Kankanhalli 2011, "Task and Social Information Seeking: Whom Do We Prefer and Whom Do We Approach?" Journal of Management Information Systems, 273, 211-240.
- Kim, H.W., and A. Kankanhalli 2009, “Investigating User Resistance to Information Systems Implementation: A Status Quo Perspective”, MIS Quarterly, 333, 567-582.
- Sutanto, J., A. Kankanhalli, J.Y. Tay, K.S. Raman, and B.C.Y. Tan 2008-2009, “Change Management in Inter-Organizational Systems for the Public”, Journal of Management Information Systems, 253, 137-178.
- Kankanhalli, A., B.C.Y. Tan, and K.K. Wei 2007, “Conflict and Performance in Global Virtual Teams”, Journal of Management Information Systems, 233, 237-274.
- Kankanhalli, A., B.C.Y. Tan, and K.K. Wei 2005, "Contributing Knowledge to Electronic Knowledge Repositories: An Empirical Investigation", MIS Quarterly, 291, 113-143.
AWARDS & HONOURS
Senior Editor MIS Quarterly, Kudos
Most Frequent Appearing Authors in the Three Elite IS Journals
Best Reviewer Award ICEGOV
Best Paper Award, International Journal of e-Collaboration
IBM Faculty Award
IBM Smarter Planet Industry Skills Innovation Award
Best Paper Award, PACIS
Fast Breaking Paper in the field of Economics and Business, Thomson ESI
Runner-up for the MISQ Reviewer of the Year award
ACM-SIGMIS Best Doctoral Dissertation Award
Infocomm Development Authority Gold Medal
President's Graduate Fellowship, NUS
Dean's Graduate Award, NUS
ICIS Doctoral Consortium Participant